Artist Empowerment Radio Podcast

Bob Baker's Podcast of Self-Promotion Tips and Inspiration for Musicians, Artists, Writers and Creative People of All Kinds


62 - Pomplamoose Interview w/ Jack Conte & Nataly Dawn - Part 1

What could you learn from a musical duo with more than 300,000 YouTube subscribers and 60 million total video views who sell more than 100,000 downloads a year?

You're about to find out as Bob interviews Jack Conte and Nataly Dawn of the successful duo known as Pomplamoose.

This is an indie music success story that will inspire you. Listen as they reveal the steps they took and the strategy behind it. Plus, Bob's starts off with an embarrassing screw-up ... and at the end of this episode, Jack admits one way that Pomplamoose messed up with their marketing.

Start listening now!

Running time: 23:41 minutes. File size: 21 megs. Format: MP3 (128 kbps).

There are three ways to enjoy this episode:

1) Listen now using this streaming audio player:



2) Download the MP3

3) Subscribe to the Podcast

Stuff mentioned on this episode: The music at the beginning and end of the episode is "Aware Awake Alive" by Soul Massage (which happens to be Bob's electronic music project with his significant other, Pooki). Visit www.SoulMassageMusic.com for more info.

What do you think of Jack and Nataly's DIY success story with Pomplamoose so far?

Please post your ideas in the Comments below.

Connect with

posted by Bob Baker @ 2:15 PM   5 comments


5 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Dave said...

Great interview -- I agree with the cover thang -- having experienced it myself with my 1st 2 YouTube vidz. As well as being an artist, I teach guitar and I did how-to's of a cover -- got over 120,000 views without lifting a finger!!! I hadn't subscribed to anyone or friended anyone. 2nd video came close to that. YouTube still asks me for partnership. But they aren' MY songs so...

Here's the crux: I earn a large chunk of my living teaching guitar and a music lawyer I once consulted with about this issue said I have to be very careful with video -- Synchronization Licensing -- different than Mechanical licensing for audio CD's. I wish I'd never spoken to this guy -- because now I'm struggling because I don't (can't?) do covers.

And it's not because I'm "too proud" -- I'm concerned about licensing issues. Am I worried about nothing? Any other points of view here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the quality info and resource -- and congrats to Pomplammose :-)
Dave

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Bob Baker said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment. This question comes up a LOT.

In fact, I just published a new post on my blog called "How to Sell & License Cover Songs, YouTube, Pomplamoose & More."

I hope you find it helpful!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Dave said...

Thanks Bob -- I'm heading over to read it right now!

Cheers,
Dave

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Yaacov Dovid said...

Hi Bob,
Excellent interview!
I have the following question: if I want to use an original instrumental track (say, a guitar track by Leo Kottke) as background to my voice-over, what are the copyright issues involved there--in putting it on youtube and in putting it on a CD?
Thank you!
Yaacov

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Chas said...

So where is part two? That's where the good stuff is supposed to be (namely, the process of covering songs to put on YouTube).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home